Recycled DIY egg carton Ornaments
RECYCLED DIY egg carton ORNAMENTS
A fun diy craft using egg cartons
So I’ve had this growing collection of egg cartons that I keep meaning to use, but keep forgetting about. When I dove into Pinterest to look at all the Christmas ideas to make with them nothing really seemed to work. Either they were way too complicated for kids to attempt, had too many steps to last against their attention spans or were going to be way too messy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
But you know what works on egg cartons? CRAYONS! FOAM STICKERS! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
These guys are so easy for the smaller crowd to colour with crayons and then stick some foam stickers onto. Which we have an abundance of, thanks to the various Dollarama craft kids we’ve bought over the last few years.
- Egg cartons, cut apart
- Green crayons
- Red crayons
- Foam stickers
- Glue Gun
There was some prep I decided to do myself ahead of time. For the trees, I precut the holes on the tops. For the wreath and poinsettia I glue gunned the pieces together before we started. doing this meant being able to give my full attention to the kids while crafting and nobody needed to wait impatiently for theirs to get glued.
One thing I’ve learned from years of working at camp is how important having examples made ahead of time for the kids to follow along with. It keeps them engaged and they love trying to copy it exactly!
- Precut the holes in the tops of the egg carton pieces
- Colour the outside of each piece green
- Add the foam sticker decorations around the sides
- Fold a pipe cleaner in half and string each piece onto it. We did four carton pieces per tree.
- Create a ‘knot’ at the end of the pipe cleaner inside the tree
- Don’t forget to leave a loop at the top!
- Alternate: If you want to have a star at the top, attach a foam star to the top of the pipe cleaner and then hang with an ornament hook
- Pre-glue four carton squares together
- Pre-glue a pipecleaner loop to the back
- Colour the insides of the squares red
- Add small yellow foam stickers to the inner centre
- Pre-glue the carton pieces together. I used nine, but could have made it with eight pieces as well.
- Pre-glue a pipe cleaner loop to the back
- Colour the outside green. If you’re doing it with younger kids who aren’t great at colouring yet, make sure to start with the front side.
- Add foam stickers. I used red to be like red berries in a green wreath, but you could use any!
That’s it! Fast, easy and fun. They may not last forever but they’re simple enough to throw together each year if needed.
Don’t have foam stickers? You could just use only crayons to decorate too!
Other ornament ideas you could make with the egg carton pieces:
- Mrs Claus
- Ornament balls